Webinar – Using GlobeSmart to Enhance International Business Teaching
Using GlobeSmart to Enhance
International Business Teaching
Dr. P. Roberto Garcia, Indiana University
Webinar recording from October 21, 2020
The reality of business education today is that many faculty members are facing the necessity to address the impact of culture on individuals and firms operating in a very globally dispersed and interconnected work world. Thus, business professors today need to be familiar with the tools and techniques available to supplement our knowledge and training on the topic of culture. This session will demonstrate Dr. P. Roberto Garcia’s approach to using GlobeSmart which has been developed over a long span at Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business with Undergraduate, MBA, and Online MBA students. Students benefit by having more faculty using a more engaging and stimulating teaching tool in their international business courses. Instructors benefit by the possibility of incorporating GlobeSmart, along with assignment tips, for a more effective and enjoyable teaching experience.
- Demonstration of how to use GlobeSmart to deliver content and create enhanced student interactions.
- Tips and examples of how to structure relevant assignments.
- Free access to GlobeSmart for 1-month in order to fully try out the tool.
GlobeSmart is a powerful online resource to help access a number of cultural research, teaching, and training tools. GlobeSmart addresses the greatest cause of difficulties in global business transactions – the lack of “cultural awareness skills” for relating successfully with counterparts from other countries. GlobeSmart provides information on how to work with counterparts from almost 100 countries, answering questions such as:
- What are China’s core values and implications for business?
- What is the most effective leadership style in India?
- How should I tailor my presentation for a Japanese audience?
- How can we effectively manage change across our operations in France?
- How can we motivate innovation in Germany?
- What are pitfalls to transferring knowledge in Brazil?
- How do Mexicans generally perceive hierarchy in business interactions?
- How should I prepare for travel to Thailand?
- How important are status and group orientation in S. Korea?
- What “small talk” topics should I use and/or avoid in Turkey?
About the Speaker
Dr. P. Roberto Garcia
Distinguished Clinical Professor of International Business
Dr. Garcia is the Young-Jin Kim Clinical Professor of International Business in the Department of Management & Entrepreneurship at Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business. He also serves as Faculty Director for the Center for International Business Education & Research (CIBER). He teaches various IB courses in the Undergraduate, Kelley Direct-Online, and Executive Education programs.
He holds a PhD from the University of Michigan in International Business with a functional area minor in Organizational Behavior and an MBA from the University of Toledo, Ohio (International Business). He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia in Psychology. Before going on to pursue a PhD, Dr. Garcia gained significant full-time management experience at well-known organizations including GM, Ford, Chrysler, ALCOA, Philips, AT&T, Wendy’s International, Edwards Brothers Printing, Kimball International, U.S. Department of Justice, Manitowoc, Cummins Inc, Eli Lilly, etc.
The International Business Webinar Series is a project of the national CIBER Minority Serving Institution (MSI) Consortium, led by Georgia State University CIBER and sponsored by CIBERs at Florida International University, George Washington University, Indiana University, Loyola Marymount University, Michigan State University, Temple University, Texas A&M University, University of Colorado-Denver, and the University of Maryland. This program is partially funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
Looking for more?
Receive updates from CIBER straight to your inbox, and you’ll be the first to know to about upcoming webinars and more!Yes, send me updates!